Air Fryer Hot Cocoa Cookies—chewy chocolate-chocolate chip cookies studded and topped with toasty marshmallows—are a fun and delicious treat. They’re made with hot cocoa mix so they taste just like a cup of hot cocoa in cookie form!
Fans of hot chocolate will go nuts for these gooey, chocolate-y cookies. They taste just like your favorite cup of hot cocoa—they even have the melty marshmallow toppers.
If you’ve ever wondered if you can make cookies in air fryer, these gooey chocolate wonders prove it. This recipe shows you exactly how to bake cookies in the air fryer and the results are scrumptious!
These cookies are baked in the air fryer, making baking and cleanup a breeze. You can also easily make them in a small batch, which is great when you don’t want a huge pile of cookies around.
These rich chocolate cookies will make a fun and tasty addition to any holiday cookie platter, bake sale, or any day treat. They’re great with a cold glass of milk or a steaming cup of hot cocoa.
Ingredients you need
Most of the ingredients for these delicious chocolate cookies are basic pantry staples. Here’s what you need:
- Sugar: Use both granulated sugar and brown sugar for the perfect texture and rich flavor. You can use either light or dark brown sugar.
- Softened butter: I always use unsalted butter in my baked goods, but you can substitute salted butter. Just leave out the added salt. Make sure the butter is at room temperature before you start (leave it on the counter for 20 minutes or so, 45 if the butter starts out frozen).
- Eggs: Use large eggs for this recipe. These should also ideally be at room temperature before you start.
- Vanilla: I always use pure vanilla extract or substitute the same amount of vanilla bean paste.
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour and sift it into the bowl after measuring it.
- Hot cocoa mix: Use any hot cocoa mix you like.
- Baking soda: To keep the cookies light.
- Salt: Use fine-grained salt, ideally one without additives, to enhance the chocolate flavor and balance the sweetness.
- Chocolate chips: I live semisweet chocolate chips or semisweet mini chocolate chips, but you can substitute milk chocolate or white chocolate if you prefer.
- Mini marshmallows: Marshmallows really enhance the hot cocoa flavor of these cookies, so don’t be tempted to leave them out. They’re what make these cookies really special.
How to make these cookies in the air fryer
It’s really easy to make cookies in the air fryer. It’s also quick and doesn’t take up space in your oven when you want to use it for other things. And you can easily bake up just a few cookies at a time if you want. Here’s how:
- Line the air fryer basket with a parchment paper air fryer liner.
- Cream the butter and both kinds of sugar together to make a light, fluffy, sweet, and creamy base for your cookie dough. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Mix the flour, hot cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in another bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in batches, beating in between to incorporate.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and half of the marshmallows.
- With a small cookie scoop, scoop balls of dough into the lined air fryer basket, leaving space in between the cookies.
- Bake the cookies partway, then top with the remaining mini marshmallows and bake until the cookies are cooked through and the marshmallows are melted and toasty.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with cold milk or hot cocoa.
How to store Air Fryer Hot Cocoa Cookies
Let the leftover cookies cool completely. Then transfer them to an airtight container, arrange them in a single layer, and store for up to 3 days at room temperature. If you must stack the cookies, be sure to put parchment paper in between the layers to prevent the cookies from sticking together.
Freeze Hot Cocoa Cookie dough for later
I like to freeze the rest of the dough in balls. That way, I can easily pop as many cookies as I need at any given time into the air fryer and have freshly baked cookies in minutes.
To freeze the cookie dough balls, arrange them on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for at least 2 hours. Once frozen, transfer to a resealable plastic bag.
Store the reserved marshmallows separately at room temperature.
You can bake the frozen cookies following the instructions, adding a minute to the air frying time if needed.
Can you bake hot cocoa cookies in the oven?
Yes! You can bake these hot cocoa cookies in the oven in larger batches if you like. Scoop the cookies onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave a couple of inches of space between the cookies. Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for 9 minutes. Add the reserved marshmallows to the tops of the cookies and bake for 2 minutes more.
More cookies for your Christmas cookie platter
If you’re looking for a fun and delicious variety of cookies to put on your Christmas cookie platter, you’ve come to the right place.
Looking for more air fryer cookie recipes? Air Fryer Peanut Butter Cookies is another fun air fryer cookie recipe. They’re a great way to use your air fryer to make sweet treats.
I always include Ginger Snap Cookies on any festive platter. And luscious, layered salted Toffee Cookie Bars always get snapped up fast.
I also love adding Flourless Chocolate Cookies for those who can’t eat wheat flour or gluten.
Other fun and festive cookies include Dulce de Leche Cookies, Lemon and Coconut Macaroons, Rhubarb Cookies, Hamentashen, Kolacky, Honey Cookies, and Chocolate Rugelach.
Air Fryer Hot Cocoa Cookies
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar dark or light brown sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ¼ cups all-pupose flour sifted
- ½ cup hot cocoa mix
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter together on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until creamy.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, hot cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt and stir to mix.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, beating to combine. A soft cookie dough will form.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and 1 cup of the marshmallows.
- Use a small cookie scoop to form balls of dough.
- Line the air fryer basket with a parchment paper liner.
- Arrange the cookie dough balls in the basket, leaving ample space between them. You’ll need to bake the cookies in several batches.
- Air fry cookies at 300°F for 6 minutes, then pull out the basket and top each cookie with 2 or 3 of the remaining marshmallows. Return to the air fryer and cook on 300°F for 3 minutes more.
- Remove the air fryer basket and transfer the cookies to a wire rack to allow them time to cool.
- Enjoy these cookies with milk or a hot cup of cocoa.
2 thoughts on “Air Fryer Hot Cocoa Cookies”
I have never made cookies in the air fryer. This was great, I also love how the marshmallows made little hearts on the top of the cookies. very cute and delicious!
Ok now that I know I can make cookies in the air fryer I’m one happy woman. These were so chewy and rich with cocoa! Loved them.