Lemon chicken is one of those things that always sounds good to me. This one is glazed with lemon marmalade. It also includes feta cheese, pistachios, mint, and a touch of hot chili pepper. So good.
Thanks to generous friends, my kitchen cupboards are crammed year-round with homemade jams. I have persimmon butter, blackberry and poppy flower preserves, grapefruit marmalade, quince jam, green tomato and chili chutney (made by the coauthor), and many more.
In fact, I own more gourmet artisan jams than I could ever possibly hope to consume via toast or crumpets alone. I’m not complaining! I’m just saying that I now face the challenge of trying to figure out creative ways to use those jams that don’t involve eating PBJs every day for the next three years.
A couple of months ago my friends Sue and Frank gave me a jar of their famous Meyer lemon marmalade. But instead of adding it to the jam gallery, I decided immediately what I was going to do with it: make a baked chicken with lemon marmalade glaze! (Sue and Frank are vegetarians though, so please don’t tell them about the corpsey thing I did with their delightful product.)
It was absolutely delicious. In addition to the lemon marmalade, I included an all-star lineup of some of my favorite ingredients—feta cheese, pistachios, mint, and a touch of hot chili pepper. I loved it, and people who are not me enjoyed it, too. Even my five-year-old niece declared it “the best dinner ever!” And it was super easy, too.
What are your favorite non-sandwich uses for jams and preserves? Share your ideas in the comments!
- One whole chicken (about 4-5 pounds), cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or spray oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup lemon marmalade
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes (more or less, to taste)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Trim any excess fatty skin from the chicken pieces, if desired, and place in a single layer in a baking dish just large enough to hold all of the pieces.
- Brush or spray chicken with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- While chicken is roasting, mix lemon jam and chili flakes in a small bowl.
- Remove chicken from oven, coat all pieces with the jam, and return to oven for another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle feta cheese over the chicken, and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked.
- Top chicken with pistachios and mint. Drizzle extra sauce from the bottom of the pan over the chicken pieces and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 365Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 110mgSodium 491mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 31g