The search for good, gluten-free replacements for your favorite baked goods never ends, does it? I don’t post much about my gluten-free cooking experiments, but these gluten-free banana muffins with peanut butter are so delicious I would make them even if my G-F husband didn’t beg me to make treats he can eat.
To make these moist and tasty gluten free banana muffins, I use a mixture of slightly sweet sorghum flour and brown rice flour. Using 4 whole bananas, along with a bit of brown sugar, makes them nicely sweet and the combination of grains and seeds give them an appealing texture.
Flaxseed meal and powdered peanuts add additional nutrients and flavor, but both are optional. You can omit the flaxseed meal if you like, and substitute an extra tablespoon or two of peanut butter for the powdered peanuts.
This recipe makes exactly 12 muffins in a standard muffin tin, but I often double it since my family can devour a dozen in a day and a half. You can add nuts, chocolate chips, cinnamon, or other ingredients if you like.
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (optional)
- 3 tablespoons powdered peanuts (optional)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 ripe bananas
- 4 to 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, flaxseed meal, powdered peanut butter, baking soda, xantham gum, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer) mash the bananas (a stand mixer will mash them for you.) Add the brown sugar, peanut butter, coconut oil, and vanilla extract and mix well. Add the egg and beat just until incorporated. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined. Scoop the batter into the muffin tin, dividing equally.
- Bake the muffins about 18 to 20 minutes, until a tester inserted into the middle of one comes out clean. Cool the muffins on a rack.
Amount Per Serving Calories 201Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 16mgSodium 153mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 3gSugar 11gProtein 4g