Air fryer buttermilk fried chicken is a dream come true. What could be better than juicy, tender, hot-sauce-and-buttermilk-infused chicken with a crunchy crispy coating? Air frying it makes it easy and healthy.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Somehow spicy buttermilk-marinated fried chicken and eat-dinner-on-the-deck weather go hand-in-hand for me. But who wants to stand in a hot kitchen deep frying chicken in the summertime?
I’ve got a detailed post on How to Make Fried Chicken in the Air Fryer, which is loaded with tips and advice for making a basic air fryer fried chicken. It’s a great starting point for all of my delicious air fryer recipes for crispy chicken.
This recipe takes all that information but adds a buttermilk-and-hot-sauce marinade that tenderizes and flavors the chicken.
This juicy chicken has all the traditional flavor of the best deep fried chicken. But since it is made in the air fryer, it is lighter, healthier, and much easier to make!
This recipe uses much less oil than traditional deep frying, which makes it lighter. It also means less of a mess to clean up in the kitchen.
It’s an added benefit that it doesn’t heat up your kitchen or require you to stand over a hot stove.
And I can pretty much guarantee that your whole family will love it!
What ingredients do you need?
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this mouthwatering, crispy air fryer chicken recipe.
- Chicken (use bone-in or boneless chicken thighs, chicken wings, or chicken drumsticks)
- Hot sauce
- Black pepper (and optional cayenne pepper)
- Garlic powder
How do you make it?
Air fryer buttermilk fried chicken is way easier to make than regular fried chicken. Here’s how:
- Combine buttermilk and hot sauce in a large bowl and then marinate the chicken in the buttermilk mixture.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, discarding the excess buttermilk mixture.
- Dredge the chicken in seasoned flour.
- Arrange the coated chicken pieces in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Brush or spritz the chicken with oil.
- Air fry for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
What do you serve with it?
I like to serve this air-fried chicken with Coleslaw and slices of watermelon for a perfect summer meal.
Air fryer buttermilk fried chicken frequently asked questions
You don’t need a parchment paper liner, but I find that it makes it easier to flip the chicken pieces and also reduces cleanup time and effort. You can use reusable silicone liners if you don’t like the disposable parchment paper ones.
You can use whatever chicken pieces you like. Personally, I prefer using dark meat chicken, like the thighs and drumsticks. You can use chicken breast or wings if you prefer. You can even use a whole chicken cut into pieces. You can use bone-in or boneless. I personally prefer to use boneless, skinless thighs because they stay moist and juicy but still cook quickly.
I like to use Franks Red Hot Wing Sauce in my marinade, but use whatever you love. It adds so much flavor to the finished dish.
The lactic acid in buttermilk is a tenderizer–it guarantees tender chicken pieces inside the crunchy crust.
If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make a decent substitute by adding about a teaspoon of lemon juice of vinegar to regular milk. You can also substitute plain yogurt in this recipe.
more great air fryer recipes you’ll love
- Air Fryer Salt and Pepper Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Air Fryer Korean Fried Chicken
- Air Fryer Sesame Chicken
- Air Fryer Wontons
- Air Fryer Taquitos
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- Air Fryer Fried Pickles
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup hot sauce (I like Franks Red Hot)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 chicken drumsticks or chicken thighs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Cooking oil for brushing or spraying on the chicken
- In a medium bowl, stir together the buttermilk, hot sauce, 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1 teaspoon of the pepper, and the garlic powder. Add the chicken and toss to coat well.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes (or as long as 2 hours).
- Meanwhile, in a wide, shallow bowl, stir together the flour, the remaining teaspoon of salt, the remaining teaspoon of pepper, and the paprika.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, discarding the marinade. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture until very well coated.
- Brush or spray the chicken pieces with oil and arrange them in a single layer in the air fryer.
- Cook at 400ºF for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown on top. Flip the chicken pieces over and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, until the chicken is golden brown and crisp all over.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 495Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 252mgSodium 1204mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 52g
Nutrient values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.