Chocolate pecan pie made with dark chocolate and a splash of bourbon is arguably the most delicious dessert on the planet. And there’s no denying that it looks stunning on a Thanksgiving dessert table.
It’s funny how often I’m asked to bring dessert to holiday dinners and parties. The truth is, I’m not actually much of a baker.
Making dessert is a lot of pressure–it has to be delicious and beautiful and above all, special. The thought of making an elaborate special-occasion dessert can send me into a serious tizzy.
That’s why I wrote The Deceptively Easy Dessert Cookbook. It’s full of what I call “low-stress, high-reward” dessert recipes. These are recipes for quick, easy, made-(mostly)-from-scratch, and beautiful desserts that are suitable for even the most special of occasions, but uncomplicated enough to make any time the urge strikes.
This Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie is a perfect example–I’m bringing it to my family’s Thanksgiving dinner this year.
A splash of bourbon gives this Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie an air of sophistication and there’s no denying that it looks stunning on a dessert table. Pecans make it a great choice for Thanksgiving.
One thing that can really save time and effort here is using a store-bought pie crust. Of course, you can always make your own if you like—it’s not difficult and the book provides instructions—but I find a good quality store-bought crust is well worth the minimal cost.
Because the nuts are only on top of the pie, you don’t even need to toast them ahead of time. They’ll toast as the pie bakes!
Melting the chocolate and butter in the microwave also cuts time. The rest is just a quick mix and baking.
More Thanksgiving recipes you’ll love
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Phyllo Torte
- Green Bean Salad with Crispy Fried Onions
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Bourbon & Pecans
- Vegetarian Wild Mushroom Meatloaf
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Coffee Glaze
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Praline Topping
Chocolate Pecan Pie
- 1 par-baked 9-inch pie crust homemade or store-bought
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped
- ¾ cup dark corn syrup
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and chocolate. Heat in the microwave in 30- to 60-second intervals at 50 percent power, stirring in between, until the mixture is smooth. Let cool for several minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the corn syrup, eggs, sugar, cocoa powder, bourbon, and salt and mix to combine well. Add the chocolate mixture and mix well. Pour the filling into the crust and arrange the pecans in a single layer on top of the filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until the filling is just barely set. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely before serving, at least 2 hours.