Cilantro Mint Chutney is spicy, tart, and packed full of fresh herb flavor. This Indian green chutney the perfect condiment to serve alongside Indian food like Instant Pot Chicken Biryani, Chicken Pakora, Paneer Pakora, and Butter Garlic Naan.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why you’ll love this chutney
This flavorful Cilantro Mint Chutney (or Coriander Mint Chutney) is a fresh, tangy green chutney that is bright with the flavors of fresh mint leaves, fresh cilantro, pungent garlic, heady ground cumin, and spicy green chili.
Cilantro Chutney makes the perfect dipping sauce for Indian Appetizers and a great accompaniment to all sorts of Indian food, like rich Indian Curries like Instant Pot Chicken Korma, Tandoori Chicken, or Instant Pot Chicken Biryani.
Ingredients you need
For the complete list of ingredients with quantities and detailed prep and cooking instructions, please see the recipe card that appears at the end of this post.
The ingredients for this Cilantro Mint Chutney are all easy to find. Here’s what you need:
- Cilantro: For the best flavor and color, use fresh cilantro leaves and stems.
- Mint: Fresh mint leaves provide great flavor and bright color. Discard the mint stems as they can make the color of the chutney dull and brownish.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic cloves for the best flavor. All you need to do is peel them as they’ll be minced in the food processor. You can substitute a tablespoon of ginger garlic paste if you prefer.
- Green chilis: I like to use either jalapeno or serrano chilli peppers. If you prefer a milder chutney, you can remove and discard the seeds and ribs.
- Lemon juice or lime juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds tartness and also helps to preserve the bright green color of the chutney. If you prefer, you can substitute lime juice for the lemon juice.
- Seasonings: Salt, sugar, and ground cumin powder add flavor and balance.
How to make it
Coriander Mint Chutney is so easy to make, you hardly need instructions. Here are the basic instructions for making Cilantro Mint Chutney:
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor blender, except for the water.
- Add ¼ cup water to start.
- Process until smooth, adding more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to make a smooth puree.
- Serve the mint coriander chutney immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
How to store it
You can store this Coriander Chutney in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To freeze Mint Cilantro Chutney, portion it into airtight, freezer-safe containers and freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw on the countertop or in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
This simple Cilantro Mint Chutney is endlessly variable. Here are some ideas for variations:
- Roasted cumin powder: Instead of ground cumin, use roasted cumin seeds for even more depth of flavor. To make roasted cumin powder, toast whole cumin seeds in a skillet over medium-high heat, shaking the pan frequently, just until fragrant. This will only take a minute or two. Grind the roasted seeds in a spice grinder or using a mortar and pestle.
- Ginger: Add a 1- to 2-inch piece of peeled, fresh ginger to the food processor along with the other ingredients.
- Coconut: Stir about ¼ cup to 1/3 cup of grated coconut into the chutney for added texture and flavor.
- Yogurt: Stir in ¼ cup to 1/3 cup of whole milk plain yogurt or Greek yogurt for a creamy version.
- Tamarind: Instead of lemon juice or lime juice, use a tablespoon of tamarind concentrate. Tamarind adds unique flavor to this Cilantro Mint Chutney.
How to Serve It
- 2 cups cilantro (leaves and stems)
- 1 cup mint leaves, stems discarded
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 serrano or 2 jalapeno chile peppers
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ to ½ cup water
Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
1. Store the chutney in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
2. You can make this chutney well ahead of time and freeze it. I like to freeze it in ½ cup portions. Thaw it on the countertop or in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 16Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 162mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 1g
Nutrient values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.