This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my Affiliate Disclosure.
Mexican Corn Salad contains all the flavors of street stall corn on the cob. Sweet corn is roasted in the husk and then tossed with rich, creamy butter, freshly squeezed lime juice, diced Jalapeño chiles, and red pepper flakes and then topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. So. Good.
I love making this corn salad in the summertime when corn is at its peak. I usually roast the corn in the oven, but if the barbecue is going, it’s even easier to throw the unshucked cobs right on the grill.
Why Roast Corn in the Husk?
Roasting the corn in the oven before shucking it is what makes this Mexican corn salad so irresistible. Roasting gives the kernels a deep sweetness.
If you have a grill going, you could grill the unshucked cobs for a similar effect. The intense sweetness and touch of smoky flavor are what make this dish my hands-down my favorite corn dish. Ever.
What Ingredients Do You Need for Mexican Corn Salad?
- 5 or 6 unshucked corn cobs
- Olive oil
- Lime juice
- Diced jalapeño or serrano peppers
- Red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make Mexican Corn Salad
- First, roast the corn. Arrange the unshucked cobs on a rimmed baking sheet and roast them in a 400-degree oven for about 20 minutes, flipping them once halfway through.
- Shuck the corn and cut the kernels from the cobs. After roasting, they’re easy to shuck, too. I do this on the rimmed baking sheet, which helps to contain any kernels try to escape.
- Sauté the corn kernels in olive oil just until they begin to brown and then tossed in a couple of tablespoons of butter.
- Toss the corn in freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Add the chiles, chives, and red pepper flakes.
- Finally, grate Parmesan cheese over the top and serve.
The resulting dish is crazy delicious: Deeply sweet corn kernels bathed in butter and lime juice, flecked with spicy chiles and bright
If you love Mexican food as much as I do, try my Homemade Chicken Enchiladas made with Easy Enchilada Sauce. Or try Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole with chorizo for a Mexican twist on a classic comfort food meal.
More great salad recipes you’ll love
- Creamy Coleslaw
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Thai Green Papaya Salad
- Japanese Cucumber Salad
- Warm Potato Salad
- Kale Salad with Miso Dressing
- Zucchini Salad with Almonds and Corn
- Beet Salad with blue Cheese
- Watermelon and Feta Salad
Mexican Corn Salad with Chiles, Lime, and Parmesan Cheese
- 6 ears of corn unhusked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime plus 4 lime wedges for serving
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- 1 jalapeño seeded, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 ounces about 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Place unhusked corn on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for about 18 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- When the corn is cool enough to handle, shuck it and cut the kernels from the cobs.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn kernels and cook, stirring frequently, until just beginning to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in butter, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until butter is melted.
- Place corn in a medium bowl, squeeze lime juice over and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle chives, jalapeño, and crushed red pepper flakes over the top.
- Serve immediately, passing the grated cheese alongside.