This delicious filling boasts a whole lot of gustatory adjectives: sweet, bitter, savory, crunchy, chewy, cheesy — plus it’s nutritious and colorful, too. Hey, did you know that Parmesan cheese is the number one most umami-rich food? A smart friend told me this, so it must be true. Pass it along.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small head of radicchio, chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ pounds butternut squash, diced (¼" to ½")
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When oil is hot but not smoking, add the onion and cook, stirring, until onion begins to brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add the radicchio and continue to cook until wilted and lightly browned. Stir in the salt and transfer mixture to a serving bowl or platter.
- Add squash and water to the skillet, bringing water to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, until squash is tender (7 to 12 minutes, depending on size of cubes).
- Remove squash from skillet and add to serving bowl or platter. Sprinkle walnuts and cheese on top.
- You can mix up all the ingredients and fill the crepes before serving, or just bring the filling to the table and let guests roll their own.
Amount Per Serving Calories 166Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 9mgSodium 291mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 5g