This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my Affiliate Disclosure.
Green Chili Chicken Soup is full of flavor from green chilis, salsa verde, shredded cooked chicken, white beans, and spices. It’s like if my Jewish grandmother met up with someone else’s Mexican grandmother and they got together and made the best soup in the world.
This Green Chili Soup loaded with flavor, and definitely the kind of soup that can cure a cold or whatever else might be ailing you.
This Green Chile Chicken Soup can’t be beat on a cold evening. Hot soup is always a winner in the wintertime, but this one boasts earthy and spicy Mexican flavors that make it perfect any time of year.
Green Chili Soup is made with green chilies, chicken, and cream of chicken soup, just like its name says! The ingredient list may look long at first, but the recipe is actually quite simple to make.
Follow along below to learn how to make this homemade version of Green Chili Chicken Soup!
Why you’ll love green chili chicken soup
Green chili chicken soup is a perfect warmup on a cold evening, but it’s light enough that you’ll want to eat it year round.
It’s easy to make and budget-friendly, too!
This Green Chili Soup is also a great make-ahead meal as it will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
The Ingredients you need
It’s amazing how much flavor is packed into this green chicken chili with a pretty short ingredient list! Here’s what you need:
- Olive oil—You can substitute any cooking oil you like. Olive oil adds some nice, rich flavor though.
- Onion—Use white, yellow, or red onion, depending on what you have on hand.
- Garlic—Fresh garlic is a must here!
- Ground cumin—Cumin gives the soup earthy flavor.
- Ground coriander—This adds a sweet undertone.
- Diced green chilies—Look for canned fire-roasted green chilies. If you like a bit of heat, look for Hatch green chiles or roast your own!
- White beans—Use cannellini beans if possible, and be sure to drain and rinse them before adding to the pot.
- Green enchilada sauce—You can make your own salsa verde, or used a store-bought enchilada sauce from a can.
- Cooked shredded chicken—You can use leftover roast chicken, rotisserie chicken, or grilled or poached chicken breasts. You can use all chicken breast or use a mix of dark and light meat.
- Chicken broth—You can use store-bought chicken broth or make your own Instant Pot Chicken Stock.
- Optional toppings: Pickled Onions, cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, fresh lime juice.
How to make it
For the complete list of ingredients with quantities and detailed prep and cooking instructions, please see the recipe card that appears at the end of this post.
This soup is so easy to make you’ll be amazed! Here’s how:
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven and saute the onion and garlic.
- Add the spices and then the chiles, beans, enchilada sauce, chicken, and stock.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings!
What to serve it with
Green chili chicken soup is a full meal in a pot, with beans, chicken, and veggies. You can garnish your green chili chicken soup with Pickled Onions, chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, or guacamole if you like.
I like to serve Green Chili Chicken Soup with Baked Tortilla Chips made with homemade Corn Tortillas or homemade Flour Tortillas that I spritz with oil and back in the oven until they’re crisp and golden brown. Air Fryer Cornbread Muffins would also go great alongside this hearty soup.
Tips for Success
- Like most soups, green chili chicken soup is even better on the day after it is made. If you have time, make it a day or two ahead.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Green Chili Chicken Soup also freezes well. Make a double batch and then freeze it in 1-quart freezer bags. It will keep well in the freezer for up to 6 months. Pop it into a saucepan or the microwave for a quick meal on a busy weeknight.
- Use a good quality chicken broth for the soup. If you’re going with store-bought, I like the Swanson’s brand or Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base. Or you can make your own, like my Instant Pot Chicken Stock.
Green Chili Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies
- 2 14 ½-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can green enchilada sauce
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Optional toppings: cilantro shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, lime, pickled red onions.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven until it shimmers. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the cumin and coriander and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the chiles, beans, enchilada sauce, chicken, and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.