I love pickled onions so much. These Mexican pickled onions in lime juice are so simple, so flavorful, and so beautiful (that bright pink color!) that I just can’t get enough.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This quick and easy pickled red onions mexican style make frequent appearances on my table. It’s a recipe that I make all the time. I like to keep a jar of these onions in my fridge at all times. Just a few slivers can really dress up a simple taco or sandwich.
Mexican Pickled Onions Aren’t Just for Tacos
Lime juice makes these quick pickled onions a perfect match for Mexican food, so I made up a batch to top some tacos a couple of weeks ago.
Since then I’ve put them on scrambled eggs; a pita sandwich stuffed with broiled salmon; a salad with Romaine lettuce, feta cheese, and tomatoes; bagels and lox; and about a million other things.
What ingredients do you need to make Mexican pickled red onions?
Did I mention they only have three ingredients? Yep.
- Red onions
- Lime juice
How do you make them?
It’s seriously as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Thinly slice the red onion.
2. Pour boiling water over the onions and let stand for about 30 seconds before draining.
3. Add salt and freshly squeezed lime juice.
Pickled Red Onions Have Tons of Flavor with Less Bite than Raw
I love this recipe because, although I do like the bright snappy flavor of onions, particularly in Mexican food, I don’t like them raw.
But here the onions are quickly blanched in boiling water to tame their bite, and then pickled in lime juice and salt.
The recipe takes less than 5 minutes of hands-on time to make. Your pickled red onions will be good to go after sitting for just 30 minutes, but they get better and better after a day (or a week) in your refrigerator.
Keep a Jar of Quick Pickled Red Onions in the Fridge
Mexican Pickled Onions will last for at least a month in your refrigerator and I guarantee you will not run out of ideas for things to put them on. May I suggest:
- Pulled pork sandwiches
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Fish Tacos, or really any type of tacos
- Grilled meat or fish
- Sandwiches (mmm, how about on a tuna, chicken, or egg salad sandwich?)
- Burgers (they’re a great way to add punch to a turkey burger!)
- Hot dogs or sausage sandwiches
- Cochinita pibil (a Yucatecan specialty of pork braised in banana leaves)
I could go on and on. But bottom line, you should make these Mexican pickled onions now. You won’t regret it.
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup lime juice (from about 6 limes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Put a kettle of water on the stove to boil. Place the sliced onions in a heat-proof and non-reactive bowl (glass or ceramic). When the water boils, pour it over the onions to cover. Stir and let sit for about 10 seconds, then pour into a colander to drain.
- Return the onions to the bowl and add the lime juice and salt. Stir to mix well. Let sit for 30 minutes before serving. Store in a covered glass container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Amount Per Serving Calories 9Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 318mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 0g