Japanese cucumber salad, called
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is sunomono made of?
Japanese cucumber salad—or sunomono—is made of thinly sliced Japanese cucumbers, rice vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce. Sometimes other ingredients are added, like sesame seeds, wakame seaweed, or pickled ginger.
What is Japanese cucumber?
Japanese cucumbers, called kyuri in Japanese, are thinner than English cucumbers and longer than Persian cucumbers. They generally do not contain seeds or have only very small, delicate seeds.
Can you use a different kind of cucumber to make sunomono?
Yes, you can use any cucumber you have access to. The best cucumbers for sunomono are the long, thin, seedless Japanese cucumbers, but you can substitute another type if those aren’t available.
Persian cucumbers are a good substitute because, like Japanese cucumbers, they have very few seeds and are thin with a tender outer skin.
English cucumbers will also work, but they tend to be more watery and have larger seeds, so you may want to halve them lengthwise and scoop out the seedy middle part before thinly slicing.
What ingredients are in Japanese cucumber salad?
- Cucumbers, preferably Japanese or Persian cucumbers.
- Rice Vinegar, preferably unseasoned. This can be found in just about any supermarket and, of course, in Japanese or Asian markets.
- Soy sauce, just a touch!
- Sugar, which balances out the tartness of the vinegar.
- Salt, again, just a little.
- Sesame seeds are optional. Black sesame seeds look dramatic, but white work well, too. You can also use a combination if you like.
How do you make sunomono?
- Use sharp knife or a mandoline to slice your cucumber into uniform slices that are very thin.
- Place the cucumber slices in a colander and toss them with a pinch of salt. This helps to draw out excess moisture and prep the cucumber to absorb the tart-sweet dressing.
- Let the cucumber slices sit for a few minutes while you make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cucumber slices and dressing together. Let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes, or chill in the refrigerator.
- Just before serving, sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the top.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
What to serve with sunomono?
Japanese cucumber salad is a great side dish alongside grilled meat or fish. Because it is so light and refreshing, it goes especially well with heavier or spicier dishes. It’s also the perfect thing with onigiri.
more japanese recipes you’ll love
- Chicken Karaage
- Spicy Miso Ramen
- Ramen Tare
- Soy Sauce Eggs
- Miso Salmon
- Stir-Fried Lotus Root
- Japanese Souffle Pancakes
- 2 Japanese cucumbers or 4 Persian cucumbers (or use 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise with the seedy center scooped out), thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black or white sesame seeds
- In a medium salad bowl, toss the cucumbers with the salt and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar,
sugar, and soy sauce, whisking until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the dressing mixture to the cucumbers. Toss to combinewell. Let stand for about 10 minutes, or chill until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, garnish with the sesame seeds.
Amount Per Serving Calories 64Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 157mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 2g
Nutrient values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.