This air fryer fried chicken sandwich is crispy, crunchy, and totally delicious. And because the chicken is air fried, it’s quick and easy to make, and healthy, too!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I absolutely love a crispy, crunchy, spicy fried chicken sandwich. I’m normally a pretty healthy eater and try to limit the deep fried foods I eat, but a fried chicken sandwich is something I can rarely pass up.
This air fryer chicken sandwich has all the crunch and flavor of your favorite deep-fried chicken sandwich. Whether you’re craving Popeye’s or can’t resist Chick-Fil-A, this one has all the flavor and crunch without the hassle of deep frying or all the added fat and calories.
This recipe is super basic, giving you room to add your own variations. Don’t worry, I’ve also included lots of suggestions for marinades and sauces to level up this fried chicken sandwich.
Check out my post on How to Make Air Fryer Fried Chicken to learn my tips and tricks for success, and everything else you need to know.
What are the ingredients in a crispy air fryer fried chicken sandwich?
To make the basic crispy air fried chicken patty, you only need a few ingredients. The rest of the sandwich filling ingredients are variable, but this list includes my favorites.
- Salt and pepper
- Cornstarch (optional)
- Paprika (optional)
- Spray oil or vegetable or olive oil
- Burger buns
- Sliced pickles, pickled jalapenos, lettuce, tomato slices, etc.
- Hot sauce (I like Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce, but you can use whatever you like, or leave it off if you don’t like a lot of spice
How do you make an air-fried chicken sandwich?
This air fryer chicken sandwich is so easy to make. It’s probably even easier than going out to pick up from your favorite fast food restaurant.
- Season the chicken pieces, coat them in egg, and then dredge them in a mixture of flour, cornstarch, and paprika, if using.
- Arrange the coated pieces of chicken in a single layer in the air fryer basket lined with a piece of perforated parchment paper (optional). Spritz or brush the chicken pieces with oil. Air fry, flipping over once in the middle, for about 8 to 10 minutes total, until golden brown and crisp.
- Place one fried chicken cutlet on each bun. Top with mayonnaise, hot sauce, pickles, pickled jalapenos, tomato slices, lettuce, and anything else you like.
air fryer fried chicken sandwich frequently asked questions
I cook my air fryer chicken at 400ºF.
About 15 minutes, flipping once in the middle, until the chicken pieces are crisp and golden brown on both sides.
I usually serve these chicken sandwiches with a side of that coleslaw that I put on top. You could also add fries, onion rings, chips, or a fresh green salad.
My favorite air fried chicken sandwich variations
Whether you’re after something spicy or a bit savory-sweet, something tangy, or something with deep umami flavor, I’ve got you covered. Here are some of my favorite variations:
- Air fryer buttermilk fried chicken sandwich: Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes or more in a one-to-one mixture of buttermilk and hot sauce, like Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce (about ½ cup each should be plenty). Dredge and fry the chicken according to the recipe. Top your sandwich with coleslaw and tomato slices, plus mayonnaise and more hot sauce.
- Air fryer buffalo fried chicken sandwich: As above, and add crumbled blue cheese or blue cheese dressing to your sandwich.
- Air fried Chick-Fil-A spicy chicken sandwich: Marinate the chicken in a mixture of milk and pickle juice (1 cup milk and ½ cup pickle juice) before dredging and air frying as directed in the recipe.
- Air fryer Popeyes chicken sandwich: Use the buttermilk marinade above (one-to-one buttermilk and hot sauce) to marinate the chicken. Make a spicy sauce by mixing mayonnaise, hot sauce, and a dash of garlic powder to top your sandwich. Add pickle slices and a toasted bun.
- Cowboy style spicy air fryer chicken sandwich: Top your air-fried chicken sandwich with lettuce, 2 slices of crispy bacon, a thick slice of raw red onion or an onion ring, and spicy-sweet barbecue sauce.
- Chicken and Biscuits sandwich: Use any of the above combinations, but make your sandwich on flaky Drop Biscuits instead of buns.
- 1 pound chicken fillets (use breast or thighs)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch or potato starch (or use an extra ½ cup flour)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 burger buns
- Lettuce, tomato slices, pickle slices, pickled jalapeno slices, coleslaw, mayonnaise, hot sauce, barbecue sauce, or any other desired toppings
- Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
- Stir the flour, cornstarch, the remaining teaspoon of salt, the remaining teaspoon of pepper, and the paprika together in a shallow bowl.
- Dredge each piece of chicken first in the flour mixture, then dunk in the egg, and then finally in the flour mixture again.
- Line the basket of the air fryer basket with a sheet of perforated parchment paper, if using.
- Spray or brush oil all over the chicken pieces.
- Arrange the chicken pieces in a single layer in the air fryer basket (cook in two batches if necessary).
- Set the temperature to 400ºF and cook for 8 minutes.
- Turn the chicken pieces over, spray or brush them with a bit more oil, and then cook on 400ºF for another 7 minutes or so, until the chicken is golden brown and crisp all over.
- Place one chicken fillet on the bottom half of each bun and top with your desired toppings.
Amount Per Serving Calories 634Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 193mgSodium 1260mgCarbohydrates 74gFiber 4gSugar 10gProtein 47g
Nutrient values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.