Air fryer jalapeño poppers—the classic rich, cheese-filled hot pepper wrapped in crispy bacon, all without the greasy dance of deep frying. They’re perfect for snack time, game night, or any time you just need a delicious bite.
The merging of creamy, cheesy interior with a hint of heat from jalapenos and the savory embrace of bacon turns this Air Fryer Jalapeño Poppers recipe into an irresistible snack. Not only are air fryer jalapeño poppers fun to make, but they’re also an excellent way to enjoy a classic flavor in a more health-conscious manner. Let’s explore what makes this dish so special.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This Air fryer jalapeno poppers recipe provides a delicious experience with a combination of textures and flavors. Here’s why this appetizer recipe is bound to become a favorite:
- Crispy outside, creamy inside: The air fryer ensures a perfectly crispy bacon wrap, while the cheese melts into oozy deliciousness.
- Balanced flavor: The combination of spices and cheese with fresh jalapenos offers a delightful balance between spicy and savory.
- Healthier option: By using an air fryer instead of deep frying, you reduce the oil and fat content, making it a more waistline-friendly snack.
Air fryer jalapeno poppers are a perfect example of how a traditional dish can be transformed into something new and exciting using modern cooking tools. With their tempting combination of flavors and textures, they’re sure to be a hit at any gathering. By following the above guidance, you’ll create a delicious and memorable dish that captures both the comfort of home-cooked food and the flair of something a little more gourmet. Enjoy the journey of making and sharing these delightful poppers with friends and family.
Ingredients You Need
Here’s a rundown of the essential ingredients, including tips and substitutions:
- Cream cheese: Keep it at room temperature for easy mixing. You may substitute with Neufchâtel cheese for a lighter version.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper add flavor; consider using fresh garlic or onion if desired.
- Cheddar cheese: I like to use sharp cheddar, but feel free to experiment with different cheeses or cheese blends.
- Fresh jalapeño peppers: Choose large jalapenos for easier stuffing, and remove seeds for less heat.
- Bacon: Opt for regular-cut bacon rather than thick-cut, ensuring it gets crispy in the air fryer.
How to Make It
Making these easy air fryer jalapeno poppers is straightforward and fun. Here are the main steps:
- Prepare the Filling: Combine cream cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cheddar cheese.
- Cut the jalapeños in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and ribs.
- Generously stuff the jalapeño halves with the cheese mixture.
- Wrap with Bacon: Wrap each filled jalapeño half with a half slice of bacon. Secure the bacon using a toothpick, taking care not to overlap too much.
- Air Fry: Arrange the poppers in the air fryer basket without touching and cook at 325°F until the bacon is cooked through.
What to Serve with It
These poppers are versatile and pair well with various dishes and sauces. Serve them for an after-school snack, a game-day finger food, or a party appetizer.
If you want to add a dipping sauce, ranch dressing, Sriracha Ranch, or blue cheese dressing add a creamy contrast.
You can serve them alongside other appetizers and finger foods like Air Fryer Empanadas and Air Fryer Spring Rolls. Or alongside Air Fryer Chicken Wings. Or alongside dips like Hummus, Whipped Feta Spread, or Guacamole and chips.
For another twist on jalapeño poppers, try Air Fryer Jalapeño Popper Bites, which pack all the delicious flavor of Jalapeño Poppers into a crispy, bite-size fritter.
Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large fresh jalapenos, cut in half and seeds removed
- 12 slices of bacon cut in half
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cheddar cheese. Use a fork or an electric hand mixer to mix until well combined and smooth.
- Fill each jalapeno half with the cheese mixture. Be sure to pat the jalapeno full using the back of your spoon.
- Tightly wrap a ½ strip of bacon around the stuffed jalapeno. Spear the loose end with a toothpick, sticking all the way through the jalapeno.
- Place the stuffed jalapenos in the bottom of your air fryer basket, be sure they are not touching one another.
- Cook at 325°F for 11 to 14 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked through.
- Cook in batches and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
These are best served warm.
Be sure not to use thick-cut bacon for these poppers.
These are easy to make and perfect for tailgates, game nights, etc.
The cheese shouldn’t overflow while cooking.
The cheese will darken while cooking and brown on the top.