Mango Habanero Salsa is the perfect topping for fish tacos or simply for dipping. It’s spicy and sweet, and really easy to make. It’s also crazy delicious.
I love the sweet-spicy combination of tropical fruit and hot chile peppers. Mangoes are juicy, sweet, and full of that island flavor. Other fruits like pineapple, papaya, peaches, or nectarines also work here.
I love the heat level of habaneros when it is tempered by the sweetness of fruit. But if you prefer something a bit milder, substitute serrano peppers or jalapeno peppers.
What ingredients do you need?
This sweet-spicy mango habanero salsa recipe only uses 6 ingredients:
- Red onion
- Olive oil
- Lime juice
- Habanero pepper
How do you make mango habanero salsa?
This fresh mango habanero salsa recipe is super easy to make. Just chop up the ingredients and toss them together in a bowl.
Tips for success and substitutions
- Habanero peppers are really hot and can create problems if you get the oil or juice on your hands. I usually wear gloves when I chop them. If you don’t have gloves, be sure to wash your hands really well after chopping the peppers and don’t touch your eyes, nose, or other sensitive areas (ahem) for a while.
- If habaneros are too spicy for you, you can substitute serrano or jalapeno peppers.
- To choose mangoes, look for fruit that is bright red and/or yellow (not green) and that is slightly soft, but not too soft (similar to an avocado–you want it to have some give when you squeeze it, but not to feel mushy.)
- You can substitute other fruits for the mango if you want. Pineapple or papaya are both great here and maintain the tropical flavor. Peaches or nectarines work, too!
- This salsa gets even better if you let it sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- The salsa will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
What to serve it with
This mango salsa is perfect on fish tacos, or even as a topping for grilled, fried, or roasted fish.
It’s also great on chicken or steak, or any kind of tacos.
Or serve it alongside a bowl of guacamole and scoop it up with tortilla chips.
more mexican recipes you’ll love
- 2 mangoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- Kosher salt to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and toss
to mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or as long as