Move over pumpkin spice latte, there’s a new beverage in town and its name is Matcha Milk Tea. This delicious and trendy tea drink has taken the world by storm and for good reason.
Matcha Milk Tea is a refreshing blend of earthy matcha powder and creamy milk that will have your taste buds singing. Grab a straw and let’s dive into the world of Matcha Milk Tea.
Many boba tea shops and trendy cafes now serve these drinks, but it’s also easy to make matcha tea at home. Homemade matcha is every bit as delicious, and it’s less expensive, too!
What is Matcha Milk Tea?
Matcha Milk Tea, or Matcha Latte, is a popular drink that originated in Asia and has since become a worldwide sensation. You make it by combining matcha powder, a finely ground green tea powder, with milk and sweetener. The result is a creamy, sweet, and earthy drink full of nutrients and other health benefits.
You can enjoy Matcha Milk Tea typically hot or cold, and plain or with various toppings such as boba, jelly, or even ice cream.
The Health Benefits of Matcha
One of the reasons Matcha Milk Tea is so popular is because of its health benefits. While most tea is brewed by steeping whole tea leaves in hot water, matcha is made by grinding the leaves to a powder and mixing that powder into hot water. As a result, you consume the entire tea leaf, hence more of tea’s beneficial nutrients.
Matcha powder packs a load of antioxidants and other healthful compounds that can help boost your energy, focus, and overall health. Here are a few of the benefits you can expect from drinking Matcha Milk Tea:
- Rich in antioxidants: Matcha is high in antioxidants, which can help protect your body from damage caused by free radicals.
- Contains L-Theanine: Matcha contains L-Theanine, an amino acid that can help improve focus and concentration and reduce anxiety.
- Weight loss: Matcha is known to boost metabolism and may help weight loss.
- Lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels: Matcha has been shown to lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
Ingredients You Need
You only need a few ingredients to make a delicious iced or hot matcha latte. Here’s what you need:
- Matcha powder: This is made by grinding whole green tea leaves. You can find it in Asian markets or tea shops, Japanese grocery stores, or you can buy matcha powder online.
- Milk: You can use any type of milk you like here. Dairy milk (whole milk, lowfat milk, or nonfat milk), coconut milk, soy milk, almond milk, or oat milk all work great in this drink. The higher the fat content of the milk you choose, the creamier your milk tea will be.
- Sweetener: Again, this is up to personal preference. You can use sugar, brown sugar syrup, agave nectar, honey or maple syrup. If you want a lower-calorie option, substitute monkfruit, stevia, or another low-calorie sugar substitute. When you learn how to make matcha tea at home, you gain the advantage of being able to sweet it to your liking.
- Additions (optional): If you love boba tea, you can add boba pearls, jelly topping, or popping boba if you like. Just be sure you have a boba straw on hand to drink it!
- Ice (optional): If you like your milk tea cold, you’ll want to serve it over ice, but this is optional. It’s delicious hot, as well.
How to Choose the Best Quality Matcha
When it comes to Matcha Milk Tea, the quality of the matcha green tea powder you use can make a big difference in the taste and health benefits of your drink. Here are a few things to look for when choosing your matcha:
- Color: High-quality matcha powder should be a vibrant green color.
- Smell: The powder should have a fresh, grassy aroma.
- Taste: The powder should have a smooth, creamy taste with a hint of sweetness.
- Origin: Choose matcha from a reputable source and from Japan, which is the best source for high-quality matcha.
- Price: High-quality matcha can be expensive, but it’s worth the investment for the taste and health benefits.
How to Make Matcha Milk Tea at Home
Making Matcha Milk Tea at home is a lot easier than you might think. Here’s how:
- Mix the sweetener and matcha tea powder together.
- Heat the milk.
- Whisk the matcha mixture thoroughly into the hot milk, until it is and frothy. This is traditionally done with a bamboo whisk, but if you don’t have a matcha whisk, you can use a regular wire whisk.
- Serve immediately as a hot drink, or pour it over ice for iced matcha milk tea.
- Make it a Matcha Bubble Tea by adding tapioca pearls, popping boba, or jelly toppings.
Matcha Milk Tea is a delicious and healthy drink that’s easy to make at home and totally worth trying.
What to Serve with It
Matcha Milk Tea
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar or substitute a low-calorie sweetener of choice
- 1 cup milk of choice dairy or non-dairy
- Ice optional
- In a small bowl, mix the matcha powder and sweetener.
- Heat the milk in a small pot or microwave until it’s hot.
- Whisk the matcha-sweetener mixture into the milk until it’s well combined and frothy.
- Serve hot or pour over ice cubes for an iced matcha green tea latte.
- Add any optional toppings you want, like chewy tapioca pearls, popping boba, or jelly topping.