A couple of posts ago I wrote about reuniting with my childhood friend Danielle, from a large Moroccan family, who had grown up to become a caterer.
At the time of the reunion I had been fantasizing about a Moroccan lima bean dish that I had spied at a restaurant but didn’t order for some reason, and Danielle was kind enough to help me identify and recreate it.
Sensing that I had tapped a culinary jackpot, I asked her for some more recipes, and went home from our reunion brunch with an entire Moroccan dinner menu scribbled on a napkin.
This simple beet salad was part of that jackpot payout. Served warm, it’s a perfect combination of earthy, sweet, tangy, tart, and spicy. And it’s sooo pretty.
One of the main ingredients in the harissa dressing, harissa, is a North African staple—a hot chili paste whose main ingredients are a variety of chilis, garlic, and spices that vary by household and region.
It’s easy to find if you have access to a good international market, and can also be purchased online.
More Jewish holiday recipes you’ll love
- Honey Cake
- Honey Cookies
- Lemon Coconut Macaroons
- Jewish Beef Brisket
- Meat-Filled Borekas or Pastelicos
- Passover Orange Sponge Cake
- Passover Potato, Tomato, and Olive Stew
- Kreplach with Beef Filling
- Sufganiyot or Jelly Donuts for Hanukkah
- Potato Latkes for Hanukkah
- Classic Chopped Liver
- Vegetarian Chopped Liver
- Check out all of my Jewish Recipes!
Warm Moroccan Beet Salad with Harissa Dressing
- 1½ pounds beets
- 1/4 cup Harissa Dressing
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Scrub beets and wrap in aluminum foil. Bake until tender and easily pierced with a knife, about 75 minutes or more, depending on their size.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool just enough to handle. The skins should slip off pretty easily—but if they don't, use a sharp knife or vegetable peeler to remove skin.
- Slice beets into bite-sized cubes.
- In a small bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, harissa (or alternate mixture), cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Add olive oil and mix well.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Toss beets, green onions, and red onion with dressing, to taste. (You might wind up with some dressing left over.)
- Serve warm.
3 thoughts on “Beet Salad with Harissa Dressing”
OMG! I just saw this! I know you’ve sent me some recent posts, but I haven’t been on fb long enough to read through them. It seems like I’m on for 30 seconds, & I have to run off! I LOVE that you have this recipe on here. It’s so yummy & the warm beets suck up all the flavor from the onion, harissa, & spices. Can’t wait to read more.. Let’s plan a cooking play date SOON! Call me or email when u can..
Yes, let’s cook together soon! I’ll definitely be bringing my camera.