Today, I bring you another recipe from my latest book, Home Skillet: The Essential Cast Iron Cookbook for Easy One-Pan Meals. This time I’m sharing my recipe for Blackened Fish Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Cream. The best part is that you can watch a video of my friend and fellow food blogger Stephanie Weaver of Recipe Renovator cooking the recipe live on Facebook! And you even get to hear my commentary through the magic of technology.
These fish tacos are so quick and easy, you can have them ready in 20 minutes. Searing the fish in a cast iron skillet gives it a deliciously caramelized crust and cooks the fish to tender perfection in just a few minutes.
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 ripe peeled avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 cups thinly shredded cabbage
- 4 lime wedges, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and heat in the oven while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, and chile.
- In another small bowl, mix the paprika, brown sugar, oregano, garlic powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the fish, coating both sides of each fillet and dividing equally among them.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet set over medium-high heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the fish and cook for about 3 minutes per side, until cooked through and lightly browned.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven and place two on each serving plate, overlapping. Place a fish fillet on top of each stack of tortillas and then drizzle the cilantro-lime cream over the top. Divide the avocado slices evenly amount the tacos and top each with a handful of shredded cabbage. Serve immediately with lime wedges on the side.
Amount Per Serving Calories 478Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 105mgSodium 398mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 9gSugar 7gProtein 50g