Watermelon Feta Salad with Kalamata Olives is a refreshing summer side dish. It is a perfect side dish for backyard barbecues and cookouts.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crisp, sweet watermelon and crunchy diced cucumber tossed with salty feta cheese, Kalamata olives, and a light red wine vinaigrette make for a savory-sweet combo that is totally addictive.
This recipe only requires 5 ingredients (plus salt, pepper, and olive oil) and it is perfectly portioned to serve two people.
It also takes less than 10 minutes to make!
This recipe is from my new book, which is available now as an ebook or for preoder in paperback (available June 9th). Buy 5-Ingredient Cooking for Two now!
For best results, use sweet, juicy ripe watermelon and a good quality feta cheese made from sheep’s milk. Trader Joe’s has a very good Israeli Feta that works well here.
Is the combination of sweet fruit and salty cheese weird? Not at all. Think of how cheese plates almost always include some sort of fruit—either fresh, dried, or as preserves or jam.
Salty cheese and sweet fruit are a flavor combination made in heaven.
What ingredients do you need?
This recipe is from my 5-ingredient cookbook, so you guessed it! Only 5 ingredients (plus salt,pepper, and olive oil):
- Watermelon (choose seedless watermelons if possible)
- Feta cheese
- Kalamata olives
- Red wine vinegar
How do you make watermelon feta salad?
This watermelon salad really could not be easier to make:
- Cut up some watermelon and cucumber into cubes and put them in a bowl.
- Crumble some feta into the bowl.
- Add some halved Kalamata olives.
- Mix red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper together in a smal bowl and then toss the mixture with the salad.
- Eat the whole bowl in minutes!
Can you add other ingredients?
Well, I’m glad you asked! Yes, you can add other ingredients. A few things I like to add include julienned fresh mint or basil leaves, snipped chives, sliced scallions toasted pine nuts, or pickled red onions.
You can also substitute a different vinegar, like balsamic vinegar, sherry vinegar, or white wine vinegar or the red wine vinegar. Or use freshly squeezed lime juice or lemon juice in place of vinegar.
What do you serve this with?
This is the perfect summer salad to go along with any grilled or barbecued dishes. I love it alongside Grilled Flank Steak with Chile Butter because the refreshing sweetness balances out the spicy richness of the steak.
You could serve this salad with barbecued or fried chicken, too.
I also love to eat it on its own as a light lunch or dinner.
More great salad recipes you’ll love
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Thai Green Papaya Salad
- Kale Salad with Miso Dressing
- Zucchini Salad with Almonds and Corn
- Beet Salad with blue Cheese
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup halved kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, cucumber, cheese, and olives and toss gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss gently. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
1. Sprinkle chopped fresh mint, basil, or chives over the top before serving.
2. Substitute freshly squeezed lime juice for the vinegar.
Amount Per Serving Calories 263Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 17mgSodium 571mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 2gSugar 11gProtein 4g
Nutrient values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.